Monday, February 25, 2008

A Day in the Life of a Cheer Coach

So tonight was one of my cheer leading practices. It went normally throughout the beginning and middle, but then at the end the girls raised the issue of the teasing they have been getting from their peers. And all of a sudden it was a flashback to when I first became a cheerleader back in seventh grade. I don't know how it is for other middle schools, but our cheerleaders get poked, prodded, and mocked so often! Right now, that's how my cheerleaders are getting treated and I'm really concerned. Some of the girls feel hated by everyone! But they don't want to quit because they love what they do as cheerleaders!
I don't know what it's like to be on the outside and see the cheerleaders. Why does everyone dislike them and tease them so much? Can they just keep their mouths shut? Can't they just not watch us? I just don't get it! I mean their just little sixth graders!
I'm not sure what to tell them. I know what I did when I was a cheerleader - I just shut my mouth and took it, then cheered my heart out. I know that most people think cheerleaders are lame, I know they make fun of us, I know it all. But do they have to show it? I know that's how the world is, but come on! Just because cheerleaders are loud and a bit annoying if your trying to watch the game doesn't mean they don't have feelings! Yeah, yeah I know that sounds stupid, but you'd feel the same if you were these girls' coach.

1 comment:

Catey said...

so weird. i don't remember any of that. however, that could just be me becuase i tend to stay away from people all the time anyway. and maybe people picked on me because i never said anything? do they still? i have no idea, i think i just don't pay any attention.