Sunday, January 18, 2009

Book Review - The Memory Book

At last, I have returned to the reading world! I had a down point where I was hardly reading any books...that was a sad time. But just last week I checked out two random books from the library and the first was The Memory Book by Penelope J. Strokes.
This book is about a woman name Phoebe, who seems to have it all. She has just graduated law school, is engaged to a wonderful man, and has two life long best friends. But Phoebe has a secret past she has hidden from them, a past she returns to when she goes back to her grandmother's house she grew up in. Then she finds a memory book filled with pictures, letters, comments, and a death certificate bearing her own name. Phoebe discovers the memory book of a great aunt she never knew, who not only shares her name, but seems to have a parallel life style from the 1920s. When she finds her great aunts diary, Phoebe cannot ignore her feeling that all the answers she is looking for lies in the past. And then without warning she finds herself in the 1920s and playing the role of the first Phoebe. On this journey Phoebe desperately searches to find answers and perhaps change history.
This book is not the ordinary time traveling tale. It is filled with hidden terrors and secrets that never stop adding twists to the story. I loved each page and really identified with the story and Phoebe's troubles. This book is also the magic size of 5 by 7 inches. When I publish my won books, I want to make them that size. I was drawn to if as soon as I saw it and it did not disappoint. I highly recommend it to anyone. This book also teaches the valuable lesson that honesty is key weather it is with friends, family, yourself, or the higher power above us all. It also teaches that some things are just uncontrollable and cannot changed. We all must accept that and live on.

This book really made me step back and look at my own life. Sure I have secrets and boundaries. But I never thought about how that effected the world around me. There comes a point where you just have to be honest with yourself and see nothing is perfect and it never will be. I'll keep my secrets, but I won't shut people out to cover them up. I've decided it's time for some self-cleansing. Maybe a few changes to my self would do me good. Let's see if they work!

2 comments:

Alyssa Kristine said...

this sounds like a very good book. i shall perhaps have to read it for ap english...if it is ap english worthy. is this from the library or your own? i shall look into reading it. sorry for stealing your laptop...but you know what they say 'separation makes the heart grow fonder' lol!

Catey said...

how very interesting this book sounds.
yes, i haven't been reading much either, what with finals and everything. but next semester i have university reading and i have to read a book for english and i've just realized i have university reading second and ssr comes after second...fun fun...