Wednesday, November 3, 2010

UW Oshkosh

Today, I visited UW Oshkosh for their Express Yourself preview day. Overall, I enjoyed the day. I really appreciated that they had a preview day for specific majors. It made my selection process much easier.

The first session was about internships. Though, it was mostly focused on journalism, I did get the idea they wanted to get across. Get an internship. And they can help me to do so. So naturally, that was nice. Only complaint was that it was very early and I found myself zoning out a bit and unable to focus at times.

At this point, I am all alone. No parents or friends along with me. But thankfully, two guys decided to talk to me. Alex and Kyle, I owe most of my enjoyment of the day to you. You also showed me that I still can make friends easily. That will come in handy.

The second session was about social media in journalism. However they also talked about communications, which I am interested in minoring. So that was nice. They also showed new techniques they practice that use facebook, twitter, youtube, ect to analyze people. Very nice. I enjoyed it a lot.

Next was lunch. The food was yummy and veghead friendly. Alex and Kyle made sure I didn't have to sit alone like a sad little high schooler. They also had friends on campus, who came and sat with us. I got to learn more about student life and get a taste of the variety of people on campus. Thank you, students whose name I cannot remember.

The third session was my favorite. Creative Writing! Unfortunately, like most UW, they only have it as a minor. But it goes very well with an English major and work nicely as a double minor with communications. The teachers that persented were very cool and open. They answered all of my questions and seemed very interested in me. They gave me some advice on what classes to take and were really nice and open.

I took a tour of campus. It is much larger than Green Bay and seems a bit more organized. And there were a lot more people around! Our tour guide also told us a lot about what there is to do around campus and all of the groups and clubs there are. That was nice. We also got to spy on some lectures and sit in a classroom. The dorm rooms are...dorm roomy. A bit bigger than Point! But hey, it's college. And they are building a suit dorm that will be for sophomores are will be first opened to student when I am a sophomore. Fate? The gym looked cool with lots of free dance classes. Even zumba! And the library was nice, lots of books (surprise lol). Oh and there campus store was having a books less than $2 sale. Ah, my kind of store. With a big coffee place right next door. Brilliant set up.

So, in a few words, new top runner.

5 comments:

Catey said...

Can I just point out that college students sit alone all the time...also, you went to GB on a weekend right? could explain why there were so many more people in Oshkosh on a Wednesday...

Glad you had fun! Go to Oshkosh. lol. No! Madison! :D

Catey said...

I meant :P lol, cuz I know you don't really want to...

KoryJacquart said...

I'm not commenting because you don't comment on mine anymore! But since I guess have already...lol. That's cool that you've found a school that you like. Bit too small for my taste but that's just because I'm used to huge now (that's what she said?). College students really do spend bunches of time alone, but making new friends is a very useful skill! Especially in areas where you know NO ONE. Helps the transition process :)

ciceronianus said...

So this is your blog. Now, I know how to find it.

Em Tom said...

I'm glad you liked it!
I'll have to talk to you about how I will like my visit tomorrow!! :-)
-Emmy