Friday, January 28, 2011

Poetry Senior Project Introduction

Poetry has always entranced me. From lullabies and nursery rhymes to poets and epics, I find all forms to be a work of art. Poems can be made to tell a story, describe an idea, or express a feeling. Since a very young age I have used poetry as a therapeutic tool and a way to artistically express myself. However, I never discovered the classic forms or true rules of styles of poetry. I have only written free verse and now wish to expand my horizons. Through this project I will adapt classic poetry styles into my own modern poems. Not only will this expand my knowledge, but it will improve my writing. I plan to go into English and possibly be an author. I have also expressed interest in publishing my poetry and would love to have the chance to improve it. This project will give me the chance to dive into a world of literary art and try my own hand at styles that have been known for centuries.

I plan to first review the history and development of poetry from both western and eastern cultures. This will allow me to have an understanding of the background of poetry. Then I will take a closer look at each classic form in turn. I will begin by defining the form and give a short explanation on its origins and background. Next, I will outline their rules and structure and look at examples of poets who are known for that particular form. Then I will attempt to write my own poem following the style and dynamics I have come to understand.

My goal is to learn the classic forms of poetry and grow in my understanding of them. I see this as a chance to improve my writing skills and develop my talent. It is a great opportunity to express my love of poetry and find out more about it. I hope it will be a wonderful journey and that I may live up to the challenge.

No comments: