Thursday, March 24, 2011

Italian Sonnet - Judgment Day

Also know as the Petrarchan sonnet, it is the oldest known form of sonnet. Originally, it had no set structure and it was only after its adoption by the English that defined the Italian sonnet to consist of an octave, which set up a situation, followed by a sestet, which sets up a counter statement. It was only much later that Wyatt and Spencer formalized it by the use of Iambic Pentameter. The octave is in the form:a.b.b.a.a.b.b.a. and the sestet can be: c.d.c.d.c.d., c.d.e.c.d.e., c.d.c.c.d.c.

"Judgment Day"

My days are counting down till the one of
judgment. When my life will be tested on
All acts I have done before I am gone
And leave the happy world of light and love
Flutter aways with wind on wings like dove
Stretch out grand wings and neck like graceful swan
Rise up to the sun on lovely, bright dawn
Forgive myself and leap off with a shove
Here my Heaven, my Paradise
Judge me now, free and open upon clouds
Test me now, unbias, and meet my eyes
For here I stand beyond the shuffling crowds
Not longer held back by fearful, sad cries
I go to you now, my eternal prize

No comments: