Thursday, February 3, 2011

Ballad Stanza - The Garden

The basic Ballad Stanza consists of four lines with an alternating couplet and lines that alternate from four iambic feet to three. The first line is holds eight syllables followed by the second that has six syllables. This gives a suggested pattern of:

x.x.x.x.x.x.x.a
x.x.x.x.x.x.b
x.x.x.x.x.x.x.a
x.x.x.x.x.x.b

“The Garden”

Blessed garden, growing beauty
Becoming lush and full.
What wonders do my eyes foresee
When my gaze you do pull?

Like a mother to her young child
I have nurtured and raised
You since tiny bud and seedling
And now you’ve grown to praise.

My garden, my beauty of nature,
How you’ve flourished before
My silent eyes and quiet mouth
And now I feel your core.

But when winter winds come blowing,
My heart will soon breaking
As I watch you wither away
And my dispair making.

No comments: