Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Echo Sonnet - My Dove

This is a fairly new sonnet created by an English poet, Jeff Green. It is based off of French repeating forms. However, it unlike them it uses iambic pentrameter, making it a true sonnet. It is formed by three eveloped quatrains and a couplet. The last line of each stanza is the same and the first line is repeated as the first line of the couplet. The rhyme scheme is as followed: A.b.b.A1...a.c.c.A1...a.d.d.A1...A.A1.

"My Dove"

Oh happy, elusive Love high above
Will you not have mercy and come down low
To greet me, gentle love, and now bestow
Your joyful grace I so desire, my Dove.
I am lost in the cold with no warm glove
To keep my heart from freezing over with
loneliness. Your beauty cannot be myth!
Your joyful grace I so desire, my Dove.
Why are your ears deaf and why mush you shove
me away like some sad, hopeless disease?
It is only you that I wish to please,
Your joyful grace I so desire, my Dove.
Oh happy, elusive Love high above
Your joyful grace I so desire, my Dove.

No comments: