Thursday, February 3, 2011

Ballade - Little Flier

A Ballade is a French ballade that was standardized in the 14th century. The original form was octosyllabic, but now decasyllable or iambic tetrameter is also accepted. The poem is 28 lines with three octave stanzas and an envoi. The rhyme patter is repeated through each stanza and the final line is a refrain. The rhyming through the stanzas is: a, b, a, b, b, c, b, C and the envoy: b, c, b, C.



“Little Flier”


Little meekling bird flying high,
Why do you prance so carelessly,
Zoom so effortlessly about the sky
Without a though to world low thee
And no forgiving glance at me.
What makes you so proud and prideful?
How can you be so limit free?
Does no worry on your wings pull?

Where have you been my little fly?
Have you seen the world endlessly
Stretching out before the dawn sky?
You’ve seen ocean waves, forest trees
And forgotten lonely old me.
Is it I who am wrong, lustful
To dream of being you and free.
Does no worry on your wings pull?

But be my guest and fly on high.
Fly away and leave my soul be
For no longer I dream to fly.
I must give up to be let be
I cannot chase after dreams. Thee
May fly on careless and gleeful,
As I am cursed jealous to be.
Does no worry on your wings pull?

But I am left to think of thee,
So high above me and so very full
Wondering may I forever be,
Does no worry on your wings pull?

No comments: