Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Horatian Ode - Ode to Distraction

Horatian Ode

This ode is named for the Latin poet Horace. It is a short lyric poem of quatrains made up of couplets.

"Ode to Distaction"

Sing to me my dearest one
Distract me from the day now done
For night does shine upon us
And I need to pretend we will not just be dust

Sing to me songs of joy and hope
Allow me a way to cope
And leave my sorrows behind
Oh please sing and be kind

Pretend with me we have endless days
Pretend this difficult life is not a maze
But a pretty path, long and clear
Oh please sing to me, dear

Set down your work and come to my side
Sing to me and be my guide
Through this constantly dwelling life
Please sing and quiet my strife

Just a moment, just a while
Give me a reason to smile
And forget my tiring woes
And raise me from such lows

Pray your song raise me high
So when I wish this fair world good bye
I may be happy and at peace
Or if be impossible, I will have your song, at least

1 comment:

Unknown said...

this is officially my favorite poem so far. its wonderful :)